The primary role of Proxy Server is to maintain safety of a client network. Suppose if you have multiple PCs in your intranet, and they want to reach a site on internet – the safest way of making this happen is to go via a Proxy server.
Multiple Client(s) –> Proxy Server –> Internet
- Firewall between intranet and internet
- Built in caching functions will come to aid in performance esp. while browsing static pages
- Secure end to end communication
- Protection of devices in internal network against attacks
This is a reverse of proxy server, so works on the opposite side. When requests from the internet want to reach the services provided by servers then Reverse Proxy is used.
Internet –> Reverse Proxy –> Servers (Internal)
Any request coming from internet coming to access the servers, instead of exposing the internal server – reverse proxy is installed and function as gateway to access.
- Load Balancer – Reverse Proxy can load balance the requests coming in and direct to right server
- Aid in Security
- Protection of network
Hope this article help to articulate the key difference between Proxy Server and Reverse Proxy Server.